Focus Text: Genesis 18:10-14; 21:1-8; Hebrews 11:11, 12
Central Truth: We can believe God for the miraculous.
Objective: By the end of this lesson my students should be able to list areas in their lives in which they need more faith.
I. A Promise Given (Gen. 18:10-14)
II. A Promise Fulfilled (Gen. 21:1-8)
III. A Promise Believed (Heb. 11:11, 12)
Focus Text: Genesis 22:1-18
Central Truth: God's promise of blessing comes to those who obey His will.
Objective: By the end of this lesson my students should be able to identify areas of their lives where they need to be more obedient to God’s Word.
I. The Command Received (Gen. 22:1, 2)
II. The Command Obeyed (Gen. 22:3-12)
III. The Promise Given (Gen. 22:13-18)
Focus Text: Psalm 139:12-16 Deuteronomy 27:24, 25; Exodus 21:22-25
Central Truth: Only our Creator has the right to determine our life span.
Objective: By the end of this lesson my students should be able to state why abortion is wrong.
- Value of the Unborn (Psalm 139:12-16)
- Murder of the Innocent (Deuteronomy 27:24, 25)
- Penalty for Murder (Exodus 21:22-25)
The Bible centers around personalities. Augustine said it well: “The sacred record, like a faithful mirror, has no flattery in its portrait.” Sometimes the biographies of men and women outside the Bible seem to be too ideal and successful. But a journey through the pages of the Bible reveals those of like passion as ourselves.
The summer 2018 quarter studies "Portraits of Bible Characters." Join in this exploration of Abraham, Sarah, Moses, Gideon, Ruth, Hannah, Esther, Job, Jeremiah, Martha and Mary, Peter, Paul, and Dorcas.
Focus Text: Exodus 20:17 Proverbs 28:20-22; 1 Timothy 6:6-10, 17 Matthew 6:19-21; 1 Corinthians 6:12
Central Truth: Beware of the world’s perspective of get-rich-quick. It’s a sure road to destruction — and it’s forbidden by God.
Objective: By the end of this lesson my students should be able to list at least three reasons people shouldn’t gamble.
- Exploitation of Others (Exodus 20:17)
- Unwise Risk-Taking (Proverbs 28:20-22)
- Motivated by Greed (1 Timothy 6:6-10)
- Misplaced Trust (1 Timothy 6:17; Matthew 6:19-21)
- Leads to Addiction (1 Corinthians 6:12)
Focus Text: Psalm 37:3-7; Proverbs 3:1-8
Central Truth God’s direction for life is accessible to the searching heart.
Objective By the end of this lesson my students should be able to list several ways they can determine God’s will.
- Trust in the Lord (Psalm 37:3-7)
- Obey God's Law (Proverbs 3:1-4)
- Commit Your Ways (Proverbs 3:5-8)
Focus Text: John 3:3-16; 1 John 5:11-13
Central Truth: The Holy Spirit convicts of sin and leads man to repentance and a spiritual new birth.
Objective: By the end of this lesson my students should be able to identify some traits of one who knows God.
- Born of the Spirit (John 3:3-8)
- The Gift of God's Son (John 3:9-16)
- The Assurance of Eternal Life (1 John 5:11-13)
Lesson 9 - January 28, 2018
Focus Text: Isaiah 42:1-12
Central Truth: As servants of God all Christians seek to model their lives after God’s perfect Servant.
Objective: After comparing their lives with the perfect Servant, my students will be prepared to share at least one area of their lives that needs attention if they are to be like the model Servant of Isaiah 42.
- The Character to Which Christians Aspire (Isaiah 42:1-4)
- The Mission Christians Pursue (Isaiah 42:5-9)
- The Song Christians Sing (Isaiah 42:10-12)